Judy Harington – Environmental Artist
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
I took early retirement from a wonderful career as a radiologist in the NHS and launched into a Fine Art Degree course at Exeter College (Plymouth University). The world beckoned, so I spent the next couple of years travelling with my lovely partner before moving to Plymouth to study Painting, Drawing and Printmaking at Plymouth College of Art, graduating with distinction in 2019.
My artistic inspiration comes from the natural world and our relationship to it, particularly the coastline and sea. The work is largely experimental and process led, inspired by found objects and images. I create art which is open to interpretation, which makes people dream or question, or simply raises their spirits. I work to highlight environmental issues, such as the dramatic decline in fish stocks worldwide, climate change, plastic pollution and the recent pandemic. Fish skeletons, plastic rubbish and other items collected on my walks spark ideas and find their way into the art. Collaboration and social engagement is increasingly important to me.
I see my life as an exploration of the world, and art as a way of highlighting current environmental issues, communicating the nature of our interconnections with all living and non-living things. I hope to touch people at an emotional level, to draw attention to the reality of the crisis we are in and stimulate conversations and change.
Works include drawing and painting, print making, ceramics, installation and performance. I developed a performance piece, based on a dream in which I was buried in plastic rubbish, entitled ‘Drowning in Plastic’ (prior to the BBC documentary of the same name), shown at various venues in 2018. With the aim of reaching a wider audience I collaborated with Tom Cass, a Digital Media Production student at Plymouth College of Art, to make a short surreal film about plastic pollution in the marine environment entitled ‘Unnatural Tides’ which formed part of my Degree Show installation 2019.
- ‘A’ Levels in biology, chemistry, physics and art
- BM (Soton 1978), Dip Obstet Gynaecol (Auckland 1981), FRCR (1986)
- FDA Fine Art with Distinction (Plymouth Uni 2014)
- BA (Hons.) Painting, Drawing and Printmaking with Distinction (Plymouth College of Art 2019)
Research, Lectures and Teaching
- Numerous medical lectures and publications over the course of my career. I also have extensive teaching and mentoring experience
- ‘The Art of Medicine‘ – a lecture at a symposium in Plymouth, Devon organised by a group of academic scientists and artists (Art in the Dock, Science in the Stocks) March 2010
- Assistant at Stallcombe House, Devon for Adults with Learning Disabilities, running art and craft workshops, 2014
- Teaching beginners (including children) to throw on a potter’s wheel at the Westcountry Crafts Fair, Exmouth, 3rd June 2017
- Drop-in ‘Self Portrait‘ workshops utilising photocopier, collage and drawing at Plymouth College of Art, as part of Tate Exchange, 31st Jan +1st Feb 2018
- Running a print workshop at Tate Modern for Tate Exchange as a member of PCA ‘Print Club’, 2nd Feb 2018
- Volunteer at the National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth, assisting children with art projects, March 2018
- Teaching Takuhon printmaking at a drop-in session at Impact 10, Santander, Spain 7th Sept 2018
- Talk re. Takuhon and Ailleurs 2, Thurs 15th Nov 2018, Plymouth College of Art
‘Reflections on Water – ‘A Photobook from Devon‘, published 2014 through Blurb.com
Exhibitions and Symposia
- Regular art exhibitions at a local GP Surgery, Woodbury, Devon which I coordinated and curated, 2000 -2015
- Topsham Art Exhibitions and Lympstone Art Exhibitions, 1998 and 1999
- The Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter Open Exhibitions, 2005, 2012 and 2013
- Fine Art Foundation Degree Summer Shows, Exeter College, Exeter, 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Exmouth Art Group Summer Exhibitions, Exmouth, Devon, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Exmouth Festival Art Show, Exmouth, Devon, May 2014, May 2015 and May 2017
- Exeter Contemporary Arts Hub 3rd Year Anniversary Exhibition, Exeter Nov 2014
- ‘Reinterpretation‘ (a site specific exhibition) at St Olaves Church, Exeter July 2014
- Exmouth Ceramics Group Festival Show, May 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Devon Open Studios, Woodbury, Devon, 10 – 25th Sept 2016 (solo show).
- South West Academy of Fine and Applied Arts Open Exhibition, Exeter Castle 12 – 17th Sept 2016
- The Observatory: Perspectives on Landscape, Society and Spirit, University of Exeter Open Exhibition, Exeter 11-18th June 2017
- 165th Annual RWA Open Exhibition, Bristol, 1 Oct – 3 Dec 2017
- Potlach Meal and Exhibition of Taku-hon Printmaking, Santander, Spain, 3rd – 7th September 2018
- DttV Open Studios, Plymouth, 21st- 30th September 2018
- Plymouth Art Weekender, Plymouth, 28-30th Sept 2018
- ‘Encounters‘ Print Exhibition, Project Space 1, Plymouth College of Art, 6-16th November 2018 including a talk and demonstrations
- ‘Curated Chaos‘ with Rame Peninsular Beach Care, Boston Tea Party, Plymouth, 17th Jan – 25th March 2019
- ‘Beyond Raising Awareness‘ – an exhibition curated by Paula Meninato at Tate Modern through PCA’s Tate Exchange: Prepositions for Change, 14-15th March 2019
- ‘Plastics and You‘ symposium and art exhibition, Plymouth College of Art, Weds 27th March 2019. Organiser and exhibitor.
- PDP Group Show at Artmill Gallery, Plymouth 9th – 25th May 2019
- Final Degree Show at Plymouth College of Art 14th – 21st June 2019. ‘UNNATURAL TIDES’ – installation with UV light, plastic, acrylic and inks on cellophane + video.
- ‘Unnatural Tides’ (video) screened at Plymouth Arts Cinema on Sun 29th Sept 2019, part of ‘Made in Plymouth’ for Plymouth Art Weekender
- ‘Drowning in Plastic‘, Plymouth College of Art, Tues 29th May 2018, (3 performances)
- ‘Drowning in Plastic‘, at a Plastic Free Picnic organised by Environment Plymouth on Plymouth Hoe, Sat 7th July 2018, (3 performances)
- ‘Drowning in Plastic‘, the Marine Biological Association Laboratories, Plymouth for a plastics themed open evening, Thurs 19th July 2018.
- ‘Drowning in Plastic‘, Plymouth Hoe, Sat 25th August 2018, (4 performances)
- ‘Drowning in Plastic‘, MVV Energy from Waste Facility at Devonport, Plymouth for an Open Day (> 200 visitors),
- ‘Drowning in Plastic‘, Maker Space 5, Plymouth College of Art, 19th November 2018.
- Winner of the Neilson’s 3D Best in Show Cup at the Exmouth Art Group Annual Exhibition at Ocean, September 2015
- Winner of the Bovey Tracey Festival Pottery Showdown Challenge with Sally-Jo, finalist from The BBC Great Pottery Throw Down, June 2016
- Runner-up for Best in Show at the Exmouth Art Group Annual Exhibition Sept 2016 for a large charcoal drawing
- Shortlisted for ‘Local Focus, Global Challenges’ photographic competition, University of Plymouth May 2017
- RedPod Arts Award 2019 – studio/ exhibition space at RedPod Arts, Ivybridge
- Honorary membership of CAMP for 2019/20
- Alumni Award Plymouth College of Art 2019
- To be open to new ideas and opportunities
- To share my ideas and art with a wider audience through collaboration, social engagement, performance and other practice
- To stimulate debate and action through bringing people closer, physically and emotionally, to the environmental issues that threaten the wild life and spaces of our world, and indeed our very existence.
Please feel free to contact me: