Judy Harington – Artist
E mail: email@example.com
Website: https:// judyharington.com
Having taken early retirement from a wonderful career as a radiologist in the NHS, I launched into a Fine Art Degree course at Exeter College (Plymouth University) where I attained a distinction in 2014.
My artistic inspiration comes from the natural world, particularly the coastline and sea near my home in Devon. The work is largely experimental and process led, inspired by found objects and images. I like to create art which is open to interpretation, which makes people dream or question, or simply raises their spirits. I also create work to highlight environmental issues, such as the dramatic decline in fish stocks worldwide.
I see my life as an exploration of the world, and my art has become a way of documenting and expressing that adventure. Works include drawing and painting, print making, cyanotypes, ceramics and other 3D pieces. I have published an art book of photographs entitled ‘Reflections on Water’.
- 11 ‘O’ Levels
- ‘A’ Levels in biology, chemistry, physics and art
- BM (Soton 1978), Dip Obstet Gynaecol (Auckland 1981), FRCR (1986)
- FDA Fine Art with Distinction (Plymouth Uni 2014)
Most recent employment
Consultant Radiologist at The Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (1992-2011)
Research and Lectures
- Numerous medical lectures and publications over the course of my career. I also have extensive teaching and mentoring experience.
- ‘The Art of Medicine’ – a lecture I gave at a symposium in Plymouth, Devon organised by a group of academic scientists and artists (Art in the Dock, Science in the Stocks) in March 2010.
‘Reflections on Water – A photobook from Devon’, published 2014 through Blurb.com
- Regular art exhibitions at a local GP Surgery which I organised and coordinated (2000 -2015)
- Topsham Art Exhibition and Lympstone Art Exhibition 1998 and 1999
- The Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital Open Exhibitions 2005, 2012 and 2013
- Fine Art Foundation Degree Summer Shows, Exeter College 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Exmouth Art Group Summer Exhibitions 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016
- Exmouth Festival Art Show May 2014 and May 2015
- Exeter Contemporary Arts Hub 3rd Year Anniversary Exhibition Nov 2014
- ‘Reinterpretation’ (a site specific exhibition) at St Olaves Church, Exeter July 2014
- Exmouth Ceramics Group Festival Show May 2015 and 2016
- Devon Open Studios 10 – 25th Sept 2016
- South West Academy of Fine and Applied Arts Open Exhibition, Exeter Castle 12 – 17th Sept 2016
- Winner of the Neilson’s 3D Best in Show Cup at the Exmouth Art Group Annual Exhibition at Ocean, September 2015
- Winner of the Bovey Tracey Festival Pottery Showdown Challenge with Sally-Jo, finalist from The BBC Great Pottery Throw Down, June 2016
- To develop my art through practice, exploration, research and collaboration
- To study for an MA in Fine Art
- To share my ideas and art with a wider audience